History of Hamm's
- Wire services
- February 23, 2013 - 4:50 PM
Founded: In 1864 by Theodore Hamm and operated by his descendants for more than a century.
Pinnacle of business: In the 1950s, Hamm’s employed 2,000 at breweries in St. Paul, Houston, Los Angeles and San Francisco; 40 buildings at East Side complex; was fifth-largest brewer in the United States.
Cultural touchstone: Hamm’s commercials created by Minneapolis-based Campbell-Mithun agency featuring the intro, “From the Land of Sky Blue Waters,” tom-tom music and the clumsy Hamm’s bear.
Final brewer: Stroh Brewing Co.
Shut down: 1997
Property owner, parts of which date to 1907: City of St. Paul
Source: “Architectural Guide to the Twin Cities,” by Larry Millett
© 2013 Star Tribune