, Star Tribune
As Blaine boys roll, scorer is 'dominant'
- Article by: DAVID La VAQUE
- Star Tribune
- February 12, 2013 - 4:31 PM
Blaine boys' hockey coach Dave Aus said his surging team reminds him of the 2005-06 Bengals team that rode a 22-game unbeaten streak into the Class 2A tournament semifinals.
But he's never seen anything quite like the recent stretch junior forward Tyler Cline has enjoyed. Cline scored 14 goals and added 14 assists as the Bengals won 11 consecutive games and averaged 6.5 goals per game.
"He's on fire right now," Aus said after Cline's six-point performance in the Bengals' 9-3 romp over Elk River last week. "He's had the most dominant month of any player I've ever had."Gatorade honors Roering
Centennial senior Jenna Roering was named Gatorade's Minnesota Girls' Soccer Player of the Year for the second consecutive season.
Roering, who will play soccer at Santa Clara University, scored more than 100 career goals and earned Star Tribune Metro Player of the Year and Ms. Soccer honors.Girls' basketball notes
• Columbia Heights senior forward Sewa Ifonlaja spurred the Hylanders to their first back-to-back victories of the season last week. She averaged 15 points, 11 rebounds and three steals.
• The Cooper girls' basketball team entered this week on a 10-game winning streak and leads the North Suburban Conference standings by a lone game over Benilde-St. Margaret's. The Hawks topped the Red Knights on Jan. 15. The rematch is Feb. 19.
• The Champlin Park girls' basketball team won its past three games, including victories against No. 9 Centennial and Osseo. The Rebels had lost to both teams in their first games this season.Johnson's hat trick paces Coon Rapids over Osseo
The Coon Rapids boys' hockey team tied its season high in scoring with a 7-2 victory against Osseo last week. Junior forward Seth Johnson scored three goals and added two assists. Johnson began this week as the Cardinals' leading scorer with 10 goals and 15 assists.
© 2016 Star Tribune