Gophers thrower Lehman notches second-longest toss in school history
- Article by: NEWS SERVICES
- February 10, 2013 - 12:16 AM
Jon Lehman had the second-longest weight throw in Gophers indoor track and field history and the third-best throw in the nation this year on Saturday to win the event at the SPIRE Division I Track and Field Invitational in Geneva, Ohio.
"Our weight throwers are really rounding into form, and I'm pleased with where we are," Gophers assistant coach Lynden Reder said.
Lehman, of Coon Rapids, had a throw of 70 feet, 5 inches. Teammates Justin Barber and Micah Hegerle finished fourth and fifth, respectively. Barger had a personal best of 67-4¾, Hegerle a season high of 67-3 1/2.U softball loses twice
Sara Moulton pitched a two-hitter and struck out seven, but the Gophers softball team lost its season opener 1-0 to DePaul at the Sportco Kick-Off Classic in Las Vegas. The Gophers gave up an unearned run in the bottom of the first inning to the Blue Demons (3-1).
DePaul pitcher Kirsten Verdun also surrendered just two hits and struck out 12.
Sophomore third baseman Kaitlyn Richardson had a double for the Gophers and sophomore shortstop Erica Meyer an infield single. The Gophers had runners in scoring position in the third, fourth, and fifth innings.
The Gophers lost 5-3 to Texas Tech later Saturday. Richardson had a solo homer and a sacrifice fly for two RBI.U routed in tennis
The Gophers women's tennis team was swept 7-0 by Oklahoma State in Oklahoma City. Sometimes rankings don't mean much. The Gophers are rated No. 41 nationally, one spot ahead of the Cowboys. Oklahoma State won all three double matches for the doubles point and won four of the six singles matches in straight sets.
Two Gophers almost had impresssive comebacks. Tereza Brichacova lost 1-6, 7-5, 11-9 at No. 2 singles, Jessika Mozia fell 2-6, 7-5, 11-9 at No. 4 singles.Glover, Collins lead U.S. in Five Nations Cup
Jack Glover had the winning goal and Ryan Collins had an assist as the U.S. team routed the Czech Republic 8-2 in the Under-17 Five Nations Cup at Jarvenpaa, Finland.
Glover and Collins, teammates at Benilde-St. Margaret's last season, are both defensemen who have committed to the Gophers.Etc.
• Kylie Peterson won the 60-meter dash in 7.46 seconds and Gophers teammate Todea-Kay Willis took second in that event and in the long jump at the Iowa State Classic in Ames.
• After going 0-2 on the first day of the Big Ten Match Play Championship, the Gophers men's golf team beat Nebraska 3-2 in consolation play of the tournament. Erik Van Rooyen won 5 and 4, Jon DuToit won 2 up and Jon Trasamar 1 up. Illinois beat Michigan State 5-0 to win the team title.
• Members of the Gophers men's swimming and diving team won 15 events in the two-day Minnesota Challenge at the UniversityAquatic Center while the women's team won 12. Mickey Ross took first in 3-meter and platform diving and Jared Anderson won the 100- and 200-yard breaststrokes. Chloe Portela swam on the winning 200 medley relay and won the 100 butterfly.
© 2015 Star Tribune