This weekend in traffic: Winter frivolity brings road closures
- Blog Post by: Tim Harlow
- February 1, 2013 - 9:37 PM
The final weekend of the St. Paul Winter Carnival and a cross-country ski festival in Minneapolis will bring a few road closures and detours for motorists. And it's bridge work in Bloomington that will bring lane and road closures. Here is a guide to getting around this weekend:
Ski festival in Minneapolis
More than 40,000 to 50,000 people are expected descend on the Uptown area and the Chain of Lakes for the annual City of Lakes Loppet Ski Festival. There will be cycle races, skijoring, snow sculpting and a number of ski races and competitions Saturday and Sunday. As a result, the following roads will be closed:
- Lake of the Isles Parkway between Dean Parkway and Calhoun Parkway will be closed from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday.
- Glenwood Avenue across from Wirth Beach will be closed from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday.
- Theodore Wirth Parkway near the Quaking Bog will be closed 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday.
- Holmes, Humboldt, Irving, James and Knox Avenues between Lake Street and 31st Street will be closed to through traffic from 9 a.m. Friday to 9 p.m. Sunday. Through traffic from 31st to Lake will not be available.
- Hennepin Avenue between Lake Street and 31st Street will be closed from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 p.m. Sunday.
Vulcanus Rex and his Vulcan Krewe sweep into St. Paul to overthrow King Boreas and pave the way for summer to return to the capital city. The epic battle takes place Saturday night as does the Torchlight Parade. Expect some road closures as the fun unfolds.
Metro Transit routes 3, 16, 21, 54, 61, 62, 63, 64, 70, 74 and 94 will be on detour from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday.
• Buses that normally travel east on 5th Street (routes 21, 54, 61, 63, 64, 70 and 74) will instead travel east on 7th Street, from 5th Street (Xcel Energy Center) to Wall Street.
• Buses that normally travel west on 6th Street (routes 21, 54, 61, 63, 64, 70 and 74) will instead travel west on 7th Street, from Wall Street to 6th Street (Xcel Energy Center.)
• Buses on Wabasha, Cedar or Minnesota (route 3, 16, 62 and 94) will travel on their regular routes but only north of 6th Street. During the detour, there will be no service south of 6th Street on those routes.
• Southbound Route 67 buses through downtown will detour on Robert Street between 7th Street and Plato Boulevard. Board southbound buses on 7th Street at Robert, or on Wabasha at Plato.
• Northbound Route 67 buses will travel on Wabasha, Plato Boulevard, Robert Street and 6th Street before returning to the their regular route. Board northbound buses on Wabasha at Plato or on Wabasha at 6th Street (Macy’s).
Highway 61 in St. Paul
The Minnesota Department of Transportation has closed the right lane of southbound Hwy. 61 between Frost Avenue and Larpenteur Avenue.
The closure necessary to allow city of Maplewood crews to repair a broken water main that runs below the highway, will be in effect through Monday.
© 2014 Star Tribune