Saturday's prep roundup
- January 26, 2013 - 11:19 PM
BOYS' HOCKEYEdina beats top-rated Wayzata
• EDINA 5, WAYZATA 4: Class 2A, No. 1 Wayzata didn't have an answer for a buzzing Hornets' offense Saturday night, losing their second game in a row and tumbling down the Lake Conference standings. Class 2A, No. 6 Edina took twice as many shots as their host and is now 15-4 overall. Dylan Malmquist scored twice for the Hornets. Maxwell Zimmer had two goals for the Trojans in the loss.
• MINNETONKA 5, EDEN PRAIRIE 3: Austin Burt had a hat trick and Max Coatta scored a late goal to help Class 2A, No. 5 Minnetonka survive a scare from visiting Eden Prairie. The Eagles scored twice in the second period to grab a lead, but the Skippers finished with three third-period goals to end the threat and remain undefeated in Lake Conference play.
GIRLS' HOCKEYBurkey's four goals lead Anoka
• ANOKA 5, MAPLE GROVE 4: Katie Burkey and Blair Parent shared a special connection in Anoka. Parent had an assist on each of Burkey's four goals, the last of which came in the game's final minutes to seal the victory for the Tornadoes over their Northwest Suburban foes. Class 2A, No. 18 Anoka leapt over Maple Grove in the conference standings and improved its record to 9-5-2.
• MINNETONKA 4, EDINA 0: A flurry of scoring in the second period gave Class 2A, No. 3 Minnetonka the advantage in its road victory over Class 2A, No. 5 Edina. Diana Draayer scored twice for the Skippers, and goalie Hannah Ehresmann got the shutout.
BOYS' BASKETBALLDeLaSalle keeps winning
• DELASALLE 77, EDEN PRAIRIE 60: Class 4A, No. 5 Eden Prairie couldn't recover from a halftime deficit and fell mightily to Class 3A, No. 1 DeLaSalle. The Islanders had four players in double figures in the double-digit victory, led by Reid Travis' 18 points. DeLaSalle is 13-1 overall. Eden Prairie's Grant Schaeffer tallied 19.
• MINNETONKA 98, MINN. SOUTHWEST 78: Class 4A, No. 6 Minnetonka hit 15 three-pointers on the road, riding a huge halftime lead to an impressive victory over Southwest. Luke Pettersen had 22 points for the Skippers, followed closely by Andrew Grosz' 18. The Lakers were led by Akeem Smith with 16 points.
• NORWOOD-YOUNG AMERICA 58, LESTER PRAIRIE/HOLY TRINITY 56: Junior Nick Machemehl scored his 1,000th career point in the loss to visiting Norwood-Young America. Machemehl finished with 18 points. Tom Messner had 23 for the Raiders.
GIRLS' BASKetBALLBuzzer-beaters lift Maranatha
• MARANATHA 70, UPSALA 68 (OT): Lexi Lee's three-pointer at the end of regulation sent the game to overtime, where the Mustangs prevailed on a game-winning jumper from Mikayla Payne. Lee finished with 21 points. Upsala was led by Aimee Pelzer, who scored 28 points.
• DELASALLE 78, EDEN PRAIRIE 57: The Islanders gave their home crowd a treat, soundly beating Class 2A, No. 7 Eden Prairie, which has now lost two in a row. Class 1A, No. 2 DeLaSalle improved to 16-3 overall. Tyseanna Johnson paced the Islanders' scoring with 19 points. Allina Starr had 17 points, 10 rebounds, and 13 assists. She was two steals away from a quadruple-double.
• MINNEHAHA ACADEMY 58, WATERTOWN MAYER 37: Senior Nicole Nipper scored her 1,000th career point, leading her Redhawks to a big victory over Watertown-Mayer. Nipper led all scorers with 16 points. Rachel Warren tallied 12, as Minnehaha improved to 13-4.
boys swimmingEden Prairie, St. Thomas win
• CLASS 2A TRUE TEAM: Eden Prairie's Aaron Greenberg won the 100-yard breaststroke, set a meet record in the 50-yard freestyle, and also swam on the winning 200-yard freestyle relay as the Eagles won the True Team state title at the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center. Minnetonka's Noah Busch was part of three meet records, and helped the Skippers take second place.
• CLASS 1A TRUE TEAM: Led by senior Luke Schneeman, St. Thomas Academy decisively won the small-school True Team state meet. Schneeman finished first in the 50- and 100-yard freestyles and anchored the Cadets' 400-yard freestyle relay, which also took first. Monticello's Paul Fair set three meet records.
© 2016 Star Tribune