MLK Day matinee: Wolves at Hawks is early 1 p.m. tip
- Blog Post by: Jerry Zgoda
- January 21, 2013 - 12:58 PM
We've got a Monday afternoon 1 p.m. opening tap Twin Cities time today between the Wolves and Hawks in Atlanta as part of the city's hometown Martin Luther King Day celebration.
Some this and that about today's game:
* Wolves forward Dante Cunningham said he's feeling fine, but he didn't look like it in the locker room before today's game. He looked awful stiff and sounded awful sniffly after missing Saturday's game because he was ill.
Terry Porter said he's not sure how much Cunningham will play, but said he'd probably try him and see.
* Starting center Nikole Pekovic (bruised thigh) and rookie Alexey Shved (sprained ankle) are out, of course.
*Atlanta coach Larry Drew is adjusting his starting lineup, moving point guard John Jenkins into Kyle Korver's shooting guard spot alongside starting point guard Jeff Teague to counter the Wolves two point guard look of Ricky Rubio and Luke Ridnour.
* The game is not locally televised, but you can see it if you get the NBA's League Pass or even if you don't: There's a free trial this week so you can see it on Ch. 754 if you're a DirecTv subscriber. I also think it's free if you're a Comcast subscriber. I'm not sure about how cable/dish system; check the League Pass channels if you have a different provider.
* The Wolves are wearing special-edition shoes today. They're camouflage-y looking with neon orange laces and accents. Not sure what that has to do with MLK Day, if anything, but they're hard to miss.
* Let's see how newcomers Mickael Gelabale and Chris Johnson do today now that the opponent has had a chance to plan for them some.
Gelabale spent some time in front of the big video screen before today's game watching Wolves' footage to help him learn the play.
* Porter said nothing has changed with head coach Rick Adelman's status.
Adelman is missing his eighth consecutive game today to be with his ill wife. Porter said the team will get back home tonight and re-assess the rest of the weeks game, leaving open the possibility that Adelman could return as soon as Wednesday's home game against Brooklyn.
I don't sense that he'll be back that soon, but Porter left open the possibility.
© 2017 Star Tribune