Thursday's prep roundup
- January 18, 2013 - 1:23 AM
BOYS' BASKETBALLWoodward reaches milestone for Edina
• EDINA 80, ST. PAUL HIGHLAND PARK 63: Senior guard Graham Woodward scored 27 points to became the Hornets' all-time leading scorer in a nonconference victory. Woodward, who has committed to Penn State, surpassed Greg Buth, a 1997 graduate who finished his career with 1,360 points. Reggie Lynch added 19 points for the Hornets in their sixth consecutive victory.
• ARMSTRONG 61, ANOKA 58: Konner Goettsche scored 27 points to help the Falcons outlast the Tornadoes. Malcolm Seals scored 21 to lead Anoka.
• EAST RIDGE 59, CRETIN-DERHAM HALL 56: Sid Tomes scored 17 points to help the Raptors, ranked No. 10 in Class 4A, outlast the Raiders in a Suburban East Conference contest.
• EDEN PRAIRIE 65, WACONIA 49: Andre Wallace scored 16 points to lead the Eagles, ranked No. 6 in Class 4A, past the Wildcats.
• MINNEAPOLIS SOUTHWEST 86, COON RAPIDS 68: Cam Ross scored 17 points to lead a balanced Lakers attack in the nonconference victory. Four other Lakers scored in double figures.
GIRLS' BASKETBALLLee, Stull lead Maranatha past Trinity
• MARANATHA 89, TRINITY 32: Sophomore Lexi Lee had 17 points and 10 assists and junior Chynna Stull had 10 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Mustangs, ranked No. 2 in Class 1A, to the victory.
• EDEN PRAIRIE 61, OWATONNA 47: Jayla Mayes-Jackson scored 17 points and Samantha Trammel scored 16 to lead the host Eagles, ranked No. 8 in Class 4A, past the Huskies. Rachel Williamson scored 18 to lead the Huskies.
• ST. MICHAEL-ALBERTVILLE 69, BUFFALO 27: Erin Autio scored 19 points and Bobbi Brendefur scored 15 to pace the Knights, ranked No. 10 in Class 4A, past the Bison.
• SIMLEY 74, ST. PAUL HIGHLAND PARK 29: Abby Kain scored 21 points to lead the Spartans, ranked No. 10 in Class 3A, to the nonconference victory.
• CAMBRIDGE-ISANTI 74, MAHTOMEDI 54: Brynn Liljander scored 25 points to lead the Bluejackets to the nonconference victory. Sophomore Ali Greene scored 28 points for the Zephyrs.
GIRLS' HOCKEYVetter, McGlade pace Lakeville North victory
• LAKEVILLE NORTH 8, BLOOMINGTON KENNEDY 0: Christi Vetter and Maddie McGlade each had two goals and an assist to lead the Panthers, ranked No. 8 in Class 2A, to the South Suburban Conference victory. The Panthers outshot Kennedy 73-6.
• BRECK 7, ST. PAUL UNITED 2: Kate Schipper scored two goals and Sydney Scobee made 20 saves to lead Breck, ranked No. 7 in Class 1A, to the victory.
• BLOOMINGTON JEFFERSON 6, ROSEMOUNT 2: Kelsey Cline had two goals and two assists to lead the Jaguars to the South Suburban Conference victory.
• NORTH ST. PAUL 1, TARTAN 0: Tartan outshot the Polars 37-25, but goalie Jessica Folkerts stopped all 37 shots she faced in the Polars' Classic Suburban Conference victory. Katelyn Stepaniak scored at 14:15 of the first period for the Polars.
• SHAKOPEE 6, FARMINGTON 0: Amy Menke had four goals and two assists to lead the Sabers to the Missota Conference victory. Amber Flood had 18 saves in the shutout.
BOYS' HOCKEYNo. 1 Wayzata skates past Holy Family
• WAYZATA 3, HOLY FAMILY 1: Matthew Freytag scored two goals and Jack Sorensen had one goal and an assist to lead the Trojans, ranked No. 1 in Class 2A, past the Fire. Freytag's second goal, at 5:21 of the third period, gave the Trojans a 3-1 lead.
• MINNETONKA 4, EDINA 3: Minnetonka goalie Jacob Berger had 24 saves to help the Skippers, ranked No. 6 in Class 2A, outlast the Hornets, ranked No. 2 in Class 2A. Edina outshot the Skippers 27-16. A.J. Klein and Tommy Brandabur scored about three minutes apart early in the second period to give the Skippers a 4-2 lead.
• BENILDE-ST. MARGARET'S 11, ROCHESTER CENTURY 0: T.J. Moore had a hat trick and Grant Besse had two goals and two assists to lead the Red Knights, ranked No. 4 in Class 2A, to a nonconference victory. Besse, who scored his 29th and 30th goals of the season, moved into fifth on the state's all-time goal-scoring list with his 144th and 145th career goals, surpassing Red Wing great Johnny Pohl. Dan Lobosky had five assists for the Red Knights.
• BRECK 8, ST. PAUL JOHNSON 0: Thomas Lindstrom scored three goals and Matt Colford contributed a goal and three assists to lead the Mustangs, ranked No. 3 in Class 1A, to the nonconference victory over the Governors.
• CENTENNIAL 8, ARMSTRONG 0: Hans Gorowsky scored three goals and Ryner Gorowsky had a goal and four assists to lead the Cougars, ranked No. 8 in Class 2A, to the Northwest Suburban Conference victory.
• TOTINO-GRACE 5, CHISAGO LAKES 4: Kai Barber had two goals and Derek Lodermeier had a goal and two assists to help the Eagles, ranked No. 4 in Class 1A, rally for the victory over the Wildcats. Totino-Grace trailed 4-2 early in the third period before Carter Roo, Barber and Lodermeier scored in a six-minute span to give the Eagles the lead. Totino-Grace outshot the Wildcats 52-28.
© 2014 Star Tribune