Tuesday's prep sports roundup
- January 8, 2013 - 11:40 PM
GIRLS' BASKETBALLCentennial gives Hopkins its first loss since last February
• CENTENNIAL 79, HOPKINS 70: Centennial handed Hopkins its first loss since Feb. 21 of last year, a span of 20 games. Paige Waytashek was nine of 11 from three-point range, and finished with 29 points.
• RED WING 61, NEW PRAGUE 51: The Class 3A, No. 5 Wingers thwarted coach Ron Gunderson's first shot to become the fourth coach to reach 500 victory by upsetting the No. 3 Trojans. The victory was Red Wing's fifth in a row, and ended an identical streak for New Prague.
BOYS' BASKETBALLApple Valley downs Eagan
• APPLE VALLEY 74, EAGAN 63: Tyus Jones had 24 points and teammate Dustin Fronk 20 more as the Eagles defeated the Wildcats. Eagan had four players in double figures, led by Ryan Johnson's 15 points.
• PARK CENTER 83, ANOKA 62: All six scorers for Park Center were in double digits, paced by Quinton Hooker with 20 points as the Pirates defeated the Tornadoes. Malcolm Seals poured in 30 to lead all scorers in the loss.
BOYS' HOCKEYChaska edges Shakopee
• CHASKA 2, SHAKOPEE 1: Austin Hardy's goal at 8:30 of the second prior proved to be the game-winner as the Hawks edged the Sabers.
GIRLS' HOCKEYHopkins tops Wayzata
• HOPKINS 3, WAYZATA 2: Leah Chase's goal at 16:45 lifted the Royals over the Trojans. Hopkins' Nina Rodgers led all skaters with a goal and two assists.
© 2016 Star Tribune