Thursday's prep metro roundup
- January 3, 2013 - 11:59 PM
BOYS' HOCKEYRed Knights top Wayzata to avenge loss
• BENILDE-ST. MARGARET'S 5, WAYZATA 2: Grant Besse had two goals and two assists Thursday to help the Red Knights, ranked No. 5 in Class 2A, make amends for a 7-1 loss last Saturday to the Trojans, ranked No. 2 in Class 2A.
Besse assisted on a goal by T.J. Moore in the first minute of the second period to give the Red Knights a 1-0 lead. Besse scored four minutes later to give the Red Knights a 2-0 lead. Besse's second goal early in the third period extended the lead to 4-0.
Wayzata's Chad Olson and Chase Haller scored in a 15-second span to pull the Trojans within 4-2 with 12:37 left in the third period. Besse assisted on a goal by Dan Labosky with seven minutes left to make it 5-2.
• EDINA 3, BURNSVILLE 2: Edina, ranked No. 3 in Class 2A, opened a 2-0 lead in the first period and then held on for the victory over the Blaze, ranked No. 8 in Class 2A. Cullen Munson and Dylan Malmquist scored three minutes apart to stake Edina to its early lead.
Burnsville pulled within 2-1 on a goal by Ian Taylor early in the second period, but Tyler Nanne restored the Hornets' two-goal lead. Cole Borchardt's power-play goal with 1:42 left in the second period pulled Burnsville within 3-2. Burnsville outshot Edina 12-9 in the scoreless third period.
• HOLY FAMILY 4, DELANO 3 (OT): John Peterson's goal at 4:10 of the overtime completed the Fire's comeback.
Delano built a 3-0 lead in the first period behind two goals from Justin Oja. But Garrett Riebling scored with 1:15 left in the first period and then scored a short-handed goal in the second period to pull the Fire within 3-2.
James Sutton scored for Holy Family with 6:33 left in the third period to tie the score.
• CENTENNIAL 3, ELK RIVER 2: Patrick Munson had 43 saves as the Cougars, ranked No. 10 in Class 2A, held on for the victory. Elk River outshot Centennial 45-27. Jordan Pitlick had two goals, including a short-handed goal in the first period, to lead the Cougars. Ryner Gorowsky's goal gave Centennial a 3-1 lead. Reggie Lutz and Jacob Jaremko scored for the Elks.
GIRLS' HOCKEYWayzata edges Maple Grove
• WAYZATA 1, MAPLE GROVE 0: Sophia Shaver's third-period goal lifted the Trojans, ranked No. 7 in Class 2A, past the Crimson. Wayzata goalie McKenna Lorenz had 12 saves for the shutout.
• BLOOMINGTON JEFFERSON 7, EASTVIEW 1: Alexandra Brolsma had four goals and two assists and Olivia Spellmire had two goals and three assists to lead the Jaguars to a South Suburban Conference victory.
BOYS' BASKETBALLLakeville North outlasts Eagan
• LAKEVILLE NORTH 83, EAGAN 81: Junior guard J.P. Macura scored 32 points to help the Panthers, ranked No. 10 in Class 4A, edge the Wildcats. Michael Gorder, a junior guard, scored 36 points to lead Eagan.
• PRIOR LAKE 69, LAKEVILLE SOUTH 57: Junior Jon Sobaski scored 29 points to lead the Lakers while Corey Larson had 19 points for Lakeville South.
• BIG LAKE 63, ORONO 59 (OT): Sam Dokkenbakken scored 26 points -- including a game-tying three-pointer at the regulation buzzer -- to lead the Hornets past the Spartans.
• ROSEVILLE 84, CRETIN-DERHAM HALL 60: Roseville, ranked No. 3 in Class 4A, pulled away in the second half to remain unbeaten. Roseville led 43-39 at halftime.
GIRLS' BASKETBALLJohnson leads Islanders past Cooper
• DELASALLE 45, COOPER 42: Tyseanna Johnson scored 24 points to help the Islanders, ranked No. 2 in Class 3A, hold off the Hawks.
• HOPKINS 65, WOODBURY 33: Nia Coffey scored 19 points as the Royals, ranked No. 1 in Class 4A, improved to 13-0.
© 2017 Star Tribune