Star anise is one of the flavorful ingredients in this healthy soup.
, File photo
Recipe: Quick and Easy Asian Chicken Soup
- January 2, 2013 - 2:48 PM
QUICK AND EASY ASIAN CHICKEN SOUP
Note: Serve this flavorful soup on its own or over steamed rice, noodles (especially rice noodles).
• 10 c. low-sodium chicken stock
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 whole star anise, optional
• 1 (2-in.) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1 cinnamon stick, about 4 in. long
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
• 3 c. thinly sliced bok choy
• 6 oz. crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 2 c. shredded cooked chicken
• 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
In a large stockpot, combine stock, garlic, star anise, ginger, cinnamon stick and bay leaf; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook at a very low simmer for 20 minutes. Strain, discard vegetables and spices and return stock to pot.
Bring stock to a simmer over low heat and add the carrots. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the bok choy, mushrooms and chicken. Cook until the vegetables are crispy/tender, about 3 more minutes. Add the rice vinegar. Serve hot.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 173 Fat 6 g Sodium 235 mg
Carbohydrates 10 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 74 mg
Protein 23 g Cholesterol 40 mg Dietary fiber 1 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1/2 other carb, 3 lean meat.
© 2014 Star Tribune