Wednesday's prep metro roundup
- December 27, 2012 - 12:09 AM
BOYS' HOCKEYPrior Lake thrashes Apple Valley in Silver Division of Schwan Cup
• SILVER DIVISION: Prior Lake turned in a dominating performance against South Suburban Conference foe Apple Valley in the quarterfinals on Wednesday at the Super Rink in Blaine. The Lakers scored two short-handed goals and outshot Apple Valley 45-16 en route to a 7-1 victory. Jack Murphy and Will Reedy scored shorthanded for Prior Lake. Teammate Joey Kleven scored two goals and had one assist. ... Brady Barthold scored an unassisted goal with 5 minutes, 29 seconds left, giving Andover a 3-2 triumph over Stillwater. The Ponies tied it at 2-2 four minutes earlier when Devin Cates netted an unassisted goal. ... Patrick Lauderdale's goal at 4:10 in the third period clinched a 3-2 victory as Lakeville South defeated Roseville. Lauderdale had two points in the game, while Ryan Brausen and Ryan Larson had a goal and an assist apiece for Roseville. ... Three third-period goals helped provide the margin of victory as Centennial beat Holy Angels 6-4. Ryner Gorowsky, Will Juergens, Hans Gorowsky and Jordan Pitlick each had multiple points for Centennial.
• BRONZE DIVISION: Sophomore Gavin Payne scored the lone goal, short-handed with 1 minute, 42 seconds remaining in the first period, as Orono shut out St. Paul Academy 1-0 in the quarterfinals. Senior goaltender Ryan Breon made 19 saves for the shutout. ... Bret Huebner, also a sophomore, scored two of Cretin-Derham Hall's three third-period goals in a 3-0 victory over Rogers. ... Ryan McNeil and Max Turgeon each had one goal and one assist, helping Champlin Park to a 3-1 triumph over Blake. Rebels goaltender Tyler Nelson made 24 saves. ... Jacob Tretsven had two goals and Andrew Bjorklund had three assists as Mounds View beat Forest Lake 5-2.
• OPEN DIVISION: Henry Christman scored with 1:47 left, giving Minneapolis a 3-2 victory over Hudson, Wis., in the quarterfinals. The senior forward also assisted on Minneapolis' second goal. Junior forward Cris Grassel figured in on all three Minneapolis goals, scoring once with two assists. ... Brad Hinrichs and Grant Skophammer scored 43 seconds apart in the second period, breaking a 1-1 tie and sparking Bloomington Kennedy to a 5-1 victory over Marshall.
• SOUTH ST. PAUL TOURNAMENT: Bailey Siewert scored one goal and had two assists, and Hastings scored the first four goals on its way to a 4-1 triumph over Woodbury in the quarterfinals. ... Hermantown piled on with six goals in the first period en route to a 9-1 win over Anoka. Travis Koepke had three goals and two assists, while teammate Bo Gronseth added a goal and three assists. ... Eagan defeated North St. Paul 9-0 on the strength of four goals from Zach Glienke and two from Jesse Gabrielle. North St. Paul managed only nine shots on goal in the entire game, and Andrew Lindgren and Matt Richmond tag-teamed to stop each.
GIRLS' HOCKEYLakeville South triumphs
• ABRA INVITATIONAL AT BRAEMAR: Janna Haeg and Ari Reid each scored two goals, leading Lakeville South to a 5-0 victory over Duluth in the quarterfinals. The Cougars outshot Duluth 36-9. ... Junior Samantha Donovan had three assists in Irondale's 4-1 victory over Hopkins. Freshman Sena Hanson and junior Alex Toupal each had one goal and one assist for Irondale.
BOYS' BASKETBALLOrono wins with balance
• ORONO 57, MONTEVIDEO 45: A balanced attack propelled Orono to victory, as 11 players scored, with only Matt Heussner reaching double digits with 11. Montevideo was paced by the three-headed scoring attack of Jesse Brace (game-high 18), Troy Diggins (12), and Ryan Maroney (10).
© 2016 Star Tribune