10 Things to Know for Today
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- December 10, 2012 - 5:43 AM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. THE WILD CARD IN THE `FISCAL CLIFF' SHOWDOWN
Lawmakers fear that unpredictable financial markets could trigger a panicky sell-off if a deal isn't reached.
2. MEXICO MOURNING A SUPERSTAR
Jenni Rivera, whose soulful voice sold more than 15 million records, is presumed dead in a plane crash.
3. DRAFT CHARTER POLARIZES EGYPT
A proposed constitution divides the country, with Morsi and his Islamist backers in one camp; secularists and leftists in the other.
4. SPECIAL OPS CASUALTY IN RESCUE
A U.S. service member was killed during the Afghanistan mission that freed an American doctor.
5. BOARDWALKS WITHOUT THE BOARDS AFTER SANDY
Some New Jersey shore towns are debating whether to use synthetic materials instead of wood. New York City will rebuild with concrete.
6. WHAT BLACK WOMEN ARE DOING TO FIGHT OBESITY
Spelman College disbanded its NCAA teams to focus on campus wellness and two cousins started black women's running groups across the U.S.
7. COURT DATE IN NYC HOTEL MAID'S SUIT VS. STRAUSS-KAHN
The former IMF chief won't attend a New York City hearing at 2 p.m. to discuss a settlement in a sex assault case with a hotel housekeeper.
8. FAMILY MASSACRE AT INDIAN RESERVATION
California police say a man killed his mother, 8-year-old daughter and two uncles before dying in a shootout with police.
9. MYSTERY OF MANDELA'S ILLNESS
The 94-year-old former South African president is hospitalized for undisclosed reasons.
10. AN APOLOGY BEFORE `CHRISTMAS IN WASHINGTON' CONCERT
Before appearing, `Gangnam Style' rapper PSY said he was sorry for rants against U.S. troops.
© 2015 Star Tribune