Prep roundup: Big second period lifts Benilde boys' hockey
- December 6, 2012 - 11:39 PM
BOYS' HOCKEYBig second period lifts Benilde
• BENILDE-ST. MARGARET'S 7, BURNSVILLE 4: Class 2A, No. 1 Benilde-St. Margaret's had little trouble holding off Class 2A, No. 6 Burnsville. The Blaze was coming off an impressive victory over Eden Prairie on Tuesday, but its quest for back-to-back road triumphs was stifled by a five-goal second period from the Red Knights. Benilde's Spencer Naas had three goals.
• MINNETONKA 3, ST. THOMAS ACADEMY 1: The Class 2A, No. 3 Skippers toppled the Class 1A, No. 1 Cadets. The home crowd saw two late third-period goals and an impressive performance from keeper Paul Ciaccio, who racked up 24 saves.
GIRLS' HOCKEYLate goal lifts Eagles
• EDEN PRAIRIE 5, ANDOVER 4: A late goal from Allison Koloski lifted the Class 2A, No. 6 Eagles over the host Huskies. McKenzie Johnson saved 27 shots for the Eagles, but Andover junior Mikayla Goodin managed to sneak in a hat trick in the losing effort.
BOYS' BASKETBALLPrior Lake holds off Cretin
• PRIOR LAKE 77, CRETIN-DERHAM HALL 72: The Lakers jumped out to a huge halftime lead over Cretin-Derham Hall, then endured an impressive Raiders comeback attempt, led by Cretin sophomore guard Joe Rosga's game-high 39 points.
• OSSEO 64, ANOKA 51: The Class 4A, No. 4 Orioles held off the visiting the Tornadoes in Northwest Suburban play, behind 14 points from Wheeler Baker. Anoka's Malcolm Seals had 20 points in the loss.
GIRLS' BASKETBALLSimley trounces Visitation
• SIMLEY 69, VISITATION 35: The Class 3A, No. 6 Spartanas took a firm early lead over Visitation and never looked back, nearly doubling the score in the final margin. Simley's Abby Kain led scorers with 22, and Elsa Ayotte tallied 11 for Visitation.
• PROVIDENCE ACADEMY 44, PRIOR LAKE 33: The Class 2A, No. 1 Lions held the Lakers to just eight points in the first half and didn't let up the pressure. Leah Szabla led the charge, scoring 16 for the Lions.• MARANATHA 77, BURNSVILLE 59: Behind a 25-point night by Lexi Lee, Class 1A, No. 1 Maranatha rolled past Burnsville. The Blaze had four double-digit scorers, led by Sam Connolly's 13 points.
© 2015 Star Tribune