Recipe: Potato-pear latkes
- December 5, 2012 - 5:45 PM
Serves 6 (2 latkes each).
• 1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, shredded
• 1 large firm (slightly underripe) pear, shredded
• 2 (6-in.-square) pieces matzo, crushed
• 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
• 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh sage
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 3 tbsp. canola oil, divided
Toss potatoes, pear and matzo in a large bowl and let stand, stirring once or twice, until the matzo is softened, about 20 minutes. Stir in shallot, sage, salt and pepper. Add egg and stir to coat.
Place a baking sheet in the oven; preheat to 200 degrees.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 4 latkes at a time, using 1/4 cup lightly packed potato-pear mixture for each. Press with the back of a spatula to flatten into a 3-inch cake. Cook until crispy and golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Transfer to the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with two more batches of the remaining potato mixture and oil, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
© 2013 Star Tribune