Recipe: Belgian endive salad with burnt oranges
- December 5, 2012 - 6:04 PM
BELGIAN ENDIVE SALAD WITH BURNT ORANGES
Serves 8 to 10.
Note: From "Charred & Scruffed" by Adam Perry Lang.
• 3 tbsp. champagne vinegar
• 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh shallot
• 1 tbsp. crème fraîche or Greek yogurt
• Sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 c. sugar
• 4 to 5 oranges, peel and all white pith removed, cut in half
• 1/4 c. fresh marjoram leaves
• 6 to 8 Belgian endives, cut lengthwise in half, cored and cut diagonally into 1-in.-wide pieces
• 2 tbsp. fresh chives, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
• Seeds from 2 pomegranates
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallot, crème fraîche (or Greek yogurt), salt and pepper and olive oil, and reserve.
Spread sugar on a large plate and place oranges, flat side down, on sugar.
Heat a large cast-iron pan over high heat until it just starts to smoke. Place oranges, sugar side down, on hot pan and cook until cut surface of oranges are deeply caramelized, about 2 minutes. Transfer oranges, cut side up, to a platter and sprinkle with marjoram. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss endive with just enough vinaigrette to coat lightly. Transfer endive to a platter, arrange caramelized oranges around endive, sprinkle with chives and pomegranate seeds, and serve.
Nutrition information per each of 10 servings:
Calories 140 Fat 5 g Sodium 13 mg
Carbohydrates 24 g Saturated fat 1 g Calcium 56 mg
Protein 2 g Cholesterol 2 mg Dietary fiber 5 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carb, 1 fat.
© 2014 Star Tribune