BBC broadcaster charged with indecent assault
- Associated Press
- December 5, 2012 - 3:09 PM
LONDON - An 82-year-old BBC broadcaster has been charged with three counts of indecent assault over alleged incidents in the 1970s and 80s, British police said Wednesday.
Stuart Hall, a well-known sports broadcaster and game show presenter, was detained at his home in the northwest England city of Cheshire by police on suspicion of "historic" cases of rape and indecent assault.
He was later charged with the indecent assaults of three girls. Police said the girls were between the ages of 9 and 16 years old when the incidents allegedly occurred between the years 1974 and 1984.
The BBC said Hall would not be working at the corporation while police continue their investigation into the allegations.
Hall has enjoyed a career spanning 50 years and was awarded an honor by Queen Elizabeth II last year for his services to broadcasting and charity.
Prosecutors said Hall has been released on bail and will appear in court on Jan. 7.
Hall was released without charge on the rape allegation and a separate allegation of indecent assault, police added.
© 2017 Star Tribune