Prep roundup: Late scoring burst paces Blaine girls' hockey
- December 1, 2012 - 11:40 PM
GIRLS' HOCKEYLate scoring burst paces Blaine
• BLAINE 4, CHAMPLIN PARK 3: Sam Swanstrom scored twice in a two-minute span in the third period to lead the Bengals to the Northwest Suburban victory. Swanstrom scored at 11 minutes, 24 seconds of the third to tie the score 3-3 and then broke the tie at 13:10. Katie Swanstrom had a goal and two assists for the Bengals.
• BLAKE 6, BRECK 1: Sophomore Karlie Lund had two goals and an assist to lead the Bears to the Tri-Metro victory.
• BLOOMINGTON JEFFERSON 4, LAKEVILLE SOUTH 1: Bailey Plaman made 42 saves -- 25 in the third period -- to lead the Jaguars to the South Suburban victory. Lakeville South outshot the Jaguars 26-10 in the third period and 43-20 for the game. Olivia Spellmire and Britta Mach each had a goal and an assist for the Jaguars.
• BURNSVILLE 6, HOPKINS 4: Lindsey Coleman scored three goals -- all in the third period -- to help the Blaze rally past the Royals. Coleman's hat trick came in a nine-minute span and was part of a five-goal third period for the Blaze. Coleman scored twice in an 11-second span early in the period to break a 2-2 tie. Paige Skaja scored two goals for the Blaze. Corbin Boyd and Nina Rogers each had a goal and two assists for the Royals.
• EAGAN 3, EASTVIEW 2 (OT): Brooke Madsen's goal at 7:15 of overtime lifted the Wildcats to the South Suburban victory.
• HILL-MURRAY 2, ROSEAU 1: Freshman Kate Smith had a goal and assist to lead the Pioneers over the Rams. Freshman Mikayla Jones gave the Pioneers a 1-0 lead midway through the third period. Four minutes later, Smith's power-play goal made it 2-0. Mary Przekwas scored a power-play goal for the Rams.
• IRONDALE 5, HENRY SIBLEY 1: Samantha Donovan's three goals paced the Knights past Henry Sibley.
BOYS' HOCKEYDelano's Ylitalo contributes 4 goals
• BENILDE-ST. MARGARET'S 6, MOORHEAD 1: Grant Besse's four points (2 G, 2 A) helped him reach the 200-point mark and top-ranked Benilde defeat the Spuds.
• DELANO 7, PROVIDENCE ACADEMY 5: Eric Ylitalo's goal with less than three minutes remaining -- his third goal of the third period and fourth of the game -- broke a 5-5 tie and Justin Oja scored an insurance goal with 1:21 remaining to help the Tigers (4-0) remain unbeaten. Providence led 4-2 in the third period before Ylitalo scored twice in a four-minute span to tie the game.
• CHASKA 5, BLOOMINGTON KENNEDY 3: Erik Maki scored twice in the third period to help the Hawks rally for the victory. Maki's first goal tied the score 3-3. He added an insurance goal with 46 seconds remaining. Brad Hinrichs scored twice for the Eagles.
• DULUTH DENFELD 9, CAMBRIDGE-ISANTI 5: Duluth Denfeld scored five times in the final 11 minutes to rally for the victory. Alex Thompson scored one of the goals and assisted on two to key the outburst for the Hunters.
• HASTINGS 2, STILLWATER 1: Hastings got power-play goals from Matt Koch and Matt Flynn to outlast the Ponies. Both goals were assisted by Andrew Bussey.
• MINNEAPOLIS NOVAS 7, COOPER 4: Henry Christman had two goals and an assist to lead the Novas.
• ST. PAUL ACADEMY 10, RICHFIELD 1: Cal Nicholson had three goals and an assist and Peter Wood scored two goals to lead the Spartans.
• THIEF RIVER FALLS 3, BLAKE 0: Isak Bergland scored two power-play goals in the third period and Ryan Daniels had 22 saves to lead the Prowlers.
© 2015 Star Tribune