Gophers-Michigan State replay
- November 25, 2012 - 9:52 PM
MICHIGAN STATE 26, GOPHERS 10
The recap: Michigan State settled for field goals five times (and missed one), disguising the fact that its defense was dominating the Gophers offense.
What was learned: Michigan State and Minnesota might both be 6-6, but they are not comparable at the moment.
YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED:
• D.L. Wilhite's second-quarter sack gave him 8 1/2 for the season, most by a Gophers player since Willie VanDeSteeg had 10 1/2 in 2008. With 15.5 for his career, Wilhite ranks sixth in Gophers history.
• Troy Stoudermire returned six kickoffs for 145 yards, leaving him 13 yards short of the NCAA career record of 3,517, set by Houston's Tyron Carrier.
• The Gophers were limited to fewer than 18 points for the eighth time in their past nine games.
• Quarterback Philip Nelson has gone 15 consecutive quarters without a touchdown pass, and he has thrown five interceptions in that time.
• The Gophers finished with two Big Ten victories for the third consecutive year (and Illinois has been one of those wins each time) and have not won more than three conference games since 2005.
Bowl game vs. TBD
The Gophers likely will be in either the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas (8 p.m. Dec. 28, Houston) or the Heart of Dallas Bowl (11 a.m. Jan. 1, Cotton Bowl Stadium). An announcement is expected this week.
© 2015 Star Tribune