WCHA roundup: North Dakota upsets Notre Dame
- November 24, 2012 - 12:14 AM
wcha roundupNorth Dakota upsets Notre Dame
• NORTH DAKOTA 2, NOTRE DAME 1: Nick Mattson and Danny Kristo scored goals less than 3 minutes apart as UND, ranked No. 7, beat the No. 6 Irish in South Bend, Ind. Mattson's goal came with 3 seconds left in the opening period. Kristo scored on a power play at 2:49 of the middle period. Anders Lee scored for the Irish (8-4-0) on a power play in the sixth minute of the second. Mario Lucia, the son of the Gophers coach, had the first assist. Notre Dame outshot the visitors 36-17, but UND junior Clarke Saunders stopped 35 shots.
• YALE 2, DENVER 1: Nick Kenny Agostino's goal at 3:28 of the extra period enabled the Bulldogs to upset the No. 2 Pioneers. Yale goalie Jeff Malcolm made 32 saves.
• COLORADO COLLEGE 4, NEW HAMPSHIRE 4 (OT): Rylan Schwartz and Will Rapuzzi scored goals in the last 3 1/2 minutes as the Tigers, down 4-0 once, rallied to tie the No. 3 Wildcats. CC Goalies Josh Thorimbert (18 saves) and Joe Howe (27) stopped 45 shots.
• MSU MANKATO 4, WISCONSIN 2: Eriah Hayes' fifth goal of the season, on a power play at 5:48 of the third period, was the game-winner for the Mavericks. Eli Zuck added an insurance goal in the last minute into an empty net. Michael Mersch and Ryan Little scored for the Badgers.
• BEMIDJI ST. 2, ALASKA ANCHORAGE 2 (OT): Jeff Jubinville scored twice for the Beavers, but the visiting Seawolves salvaged a point. Austin Coldwell's first goal of the season at 15:29 of the third period gave UAA a 2-2 tie.
• MINNESOTA DULUTH 2, ST. CLOUD STATE 1: Wade Bergman's power-play goal early in the third period for the Bulldogs broke a 1-1 tie.
• NEBRASKA OMAHA 3, ALABAMA HUNTSVILLE 2: Bryce Aneloski and Dominic Zombo each had a goal and an assist as the host Mavericks edged the Chargers.
© 2015 Star Tribune