ADVERTISEMENT

Warning about single-load liquid laundry packets

  • Associated Press
  • November 20, 2012 - 1:12 PM

WASHINGTON - The Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning parents to be careful with those little single-load liquid laundry packets.

The agency says some of the chemicals in the packets are toxic, so they need to be kept away from children. Adults need to be careful handling them, too, CPSC says.

This year alone, the commission says it's received reports from consumers and poison control centers of about 500 incidents involving children and adults who were injured by the product.

Children have required hospitalization from ingesting the chemicals in the packets — suffering loss of consciousness, excessive vomiting, drowsiness, throat swelling, and difficulty breathing.

The chemicals have splashed in eyes, too — also resulting in medical treatment, CPSC said.

© 2014 Star Tribune