Area college basketball: Biewen does it all in Gustavus' opener
- November 18, 2012 - 9:41 AM
• GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS 83, BETHANY LUTHERAN 63: Ben Biewen had 19 points, eight rebounds, seven assists and four steals as the Gusties opened their season by beating the Vikings (0-2) on Saturday in St. Peter, Minn. The senior guard from Edina High School shot 7-for-11 from the floor.
• WISCONSIN-STEVENS POINT 82, ST. OLAF 81: Joe Ritchay hit a three-pointer with less than two seconds remaining to lift the Pointers past the Oles in Northfield. St. Olaf missed three free throws in the final 30 seconds. Sterling Nielsen led St. Olaf with 22 points.
• HAMLINE 92, WISCONSIN LUTHERAN 86: Dior Ford's layup after Marshall Jestings' steal gave the host Pipers the lead with 1 minute, 40 seconds to play, and they went on to win their opener, closing the game on a 16-3 run.
• CLARKE 79, CONCORDIA (ST. PAUL) 70: Kris Brooks had 20 points and nine rebounds and the Crusaders rallied to win the host Golden Bears' season opener. The game was an exhibition for Clarke.
• ST. CLOUD STATE 69, JAMESTOWN 55: Jessica Benson scored 20 points, Sam Price had 17 and the host Huskies (2-0) used a big second half to beat the NAIA Jimmies, who used the game as an exhibtion.
• WINONA STATE 87, GRAND VIEW 54: Katie Wolff and Kelsey Andrist scored 20 points, Becca Friestleben added 19 and the Warriors (2-1) rolled at home.
© 2014 Star Tribune