THE BOOKMARK: The latest from the local scene
- November 10, 2012 - 3:12 PM
"Letters to a Young Madman: A Memoir," the last book Paul Gruchow wrote before ending his life in 2004, is a sobering account of his lifelong struggle with depression. Published this fall by Levins Publishing of Minneapolis, the book was written in short, intense bursts, some sections only a sentence long.
"It is recess time at my country school," Gruchow writes. "I am seven. The other 12 children are playing on the playground. I am on the opposite side of the building, huddled against the wall. I am crying. I have not been hit. I have not been insulted. ... Nothing is the matter with me. I just can't stop crying."
Gruchow was the author of "The Necessity of Empty Places" and "Journal of a Prairie Year," and a three-time winner of the Minnesota Book Award.
• Vince Flynn's new thriller, "The Last Man," has been published by Atria Books. Flynn lives in the Twin Cities.
• "Papa's New Home," a picture book about death and dying by Jessica Lynn Curtis, has been published by Tristan of Minneapolis. The illustrations are by Steve Harmon of Mahtomedi.
• John Coy's picture book, "Hoop Genius: How a Desperate Teacher and a Rowdy Gym Class Invented Basketball," will be published in March by Carolrhoda Books of Minneapolis. Coy is the author of many books for children, including "Night Driving." He lives in Minneapolis.
• "One Frozen Lake," a counting book by Deborah Jo Larson of Woodbury, has been published by the Minnesota Historical Society Press. Illustrated with paintings by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher, the book tells the story of a boy and his grandpa going ice fishing. Larson has a series of events planned: 4 p.m. Nov. 17, Woodbury Lakes Mall, Woodbury; 1 p.m. Nov. 24, Magers & Quinn, 3038 Hennepin Av. S., Mpls.; 2 p.m. Dec. 1, Reading Frenzy, Zimmerman; 7 p.m. Dec. 6, Writers on Writing, Art Reach St. Croix, Stillwater; 2 p.m. Dec. 9, Minnesota History Center Bookstore, St. Paul; 10:30 a.m. Dec. 8, Red Balloon, 819 Grand Av., St. Paul.
© 2015 Star Tribune