Minnesota couple accused of starving adopted son
- Article by: AMY FORLITI
- Associated Press
- November 5, 2012 - 5:43 PM
MINNEAPOLIS - Authorities say a North Mankato couple starved their 8-year-old adopted son — causing him to be so malnourished that his bones were protruding and his brain atrophied.
A criminal complaint filed last week charges Mona Alane Hauer and Russell Jerome Hauer with six felonies, including neglect and malicious punishment of a child.
The complaint says the boy weighed 34.8 pounds when he was brought to the hospital last month.
He was allegedly given a liquid-only diet, and an alarm was on his door so he wouldn't steal food. He admitted he had taken rotting food from a compost site because he was hungry.
Mona Hauer told authorities the boy regurgitated food.
It's unclear if the Hauers have an attorney. Their voicemail is full and a message could not be left.
© 2014 Star Tribune