Watching scary movies burns calories!
- Blog Post by: Colleen Stoxen
- October 31, 2012 - 5:54 PM
Watching 90 minutes of adrenaline-pumping terror can use up as much as 113 calories, close to the amount burned during a half-hour walk and the equivalent to a chocolate bar.
A study at the U.K.'s University of Westminster (yes, sometimes they do study such things) measured the total energy expenditure of 10 people as they watched a selection of frightening movies. Scientists recorded their heart rate, oxygen intake and carbon dioxide output - and discovered the number of calories used increased by a third on average during the films.
The research also revealed films featuring moments designed to make viewers jump in terror are the best calorie-burners, as they cause heart rates to soar.
The top calorie burners:
- The Shining: 184 calories
- Jaws: 161 calories
- The Exorcist: 158 calories
- Alien: 152 calories
- Saw: 133 calories
- A Nightmare on Elm Street: 118 calories
- Paranormal Activity: 111 calories
- The Blair Witch Project: 105 calories
- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre: 107 calories
- [Rec]: 101 calories
Read more from the Telegraph.
© 2017 Star Tribune