ADVERTISEMENT

South news briefs: For acreage owners, information about goats

  • October 30, 2012 - 7:52 AM

SOUTH METRO

For acreage owners, information about goats

The University of Minnesota is inviting owners of acreage lots and farms to learn more about the rising trend of goat raising and its cousin, cheese production.

The Minnesota Dairy Goat Association has its 35th annual fall conference on Nov. 10 at Ruttan Hall on the St. Paul campus of the university.

Experts from universities and practitioners on the farm will speak on topics such as labor and delivery and cheesemaking. It's aimed at both beginners and advanced. For details of speakers and fees, go to z.umn.edu/mdga.

jordan

Candidate forum is available for viewing

A candidate forum in the highly charged race for mayor of Jordan, as well as for members of the City Council, is ready to be viewed on tape for those who missed it.

The forum will be televised Monday through Friday at 1 p.m. on public access Ch. 14; available for checkout at the Jordan public library; placed on the city website for retrieval via your computer; available for purchase at City Hall.

SCOTT COUNTY

Huckster doctors from years ago

The shady side of medicine will be on display this month in an exhibit called "What's Up Doc? Medicine in Scott County."

The Scott County Historical Society is stressing that this is not an exposé but rather history.

The exhibit opens Nov. 15 with a presentation on old-time medicine shows at 6:30 p.m. Costumed presenter Susan Hynes will pretend to be a medical huckster of the kind that was once common.

Scott County was founded in 1853, and by then real medical advancements had been achieved. But, in an exhibit and related programming sponsored by St. Francis Regional Medical Center, there was plenty of chicanery peddled as well.

The society is located at 235 Fuller St. S. in Shakopee. Call 952-445-0378 or e-mail info@scottcountyhistory.org.

INVER GROVE HEIGHTS

Artists, crafters can sell goods at college

Artists and artisan crafters are being invited to sell their work at Inver Hills Community College as part of its holiday art sale Nov. 26-30 and Dec. 3-7.

You'll get 70 percent of the proceeds minus sales tax. The other 30 percent goes to art scholarships for Inver Hills students. The sale also includes work by students, faculty and staff at the college.

The college is looking in particular for jewelry, knit or felted items, unique crafts, watercolor or small paintings, glasswork, functional pottery, woodworking, birdhouses, vases, clothing and accessories.

The sale will be held at the Inver Hills Art Gallery in the Fine Arts Building. You don't have to be present; gallery assistants will track sales and package items.

To apply to take part, e-mail digital images of three to five samples to ihccgallery@inverhills.edu with Holiday Art Sale Submission in the subject line. Include the number of pieces you want to sell and price range. Submissions are being reviewed through Nov. 21.

STAFF REPORTS

SOUTH METRO For acreage owners, info about goats The University of Minnesota is inviting owners of acreage lots and farms to learn more about the rising trend of goat raising and its cousin, cheese production. The Minnesota Dairy Goat Association has its 35th annual fall conference on Nov. 10 at Ruttan Hall on the St. Paul campus of the university. Experts from universities and practitioners on the farm will speak on topics such as labor and delivery and cheesemaking. It's aimed at both beginners and advanced. For details of speakers and fees, go to z.umn.edu/mdga. There's also a silent auction and a live auction featuring three donated goats: a Nubian doe, a Toggenburg doe and an Oberhasli doe. Photos are online at www.minnesotagoats.org.

© 2014 Star Tribune