Big Ten men's basketball media poll
- October 25, 2012 - 7:35 PM
BIG TEN POLL
Twenty-four members of the Big Ten media were polled on the predicted order of finish in the conference. Here are the results, with comments from Star Tribune beat writer Amelia Rayno:
1. Indiana: With one of best frontcourts in country plus super-hyped freshman PG Yogi Ferrell, what's not to love?
2. Michigan: Both Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr. are back, and so is the hunt for another Big Ten title.
3. Ohio State: Jared Sullinger is gone, but wing DeShaun Thomas and PG Aaron Craft are more than capable of carrying the Buckeyes.
4. Michigan State: Spartans will miss Draymond Green, but they are still pretty loaded.
5. Wisconsin: Veteran frontcourt should help ease any bumps in the road for redshirt freshman George Marshall and heralded freshman wing Sam Dekker.
6. Gophers: Trevor Mbakwe's return could give the Gophers their first NCAA tournament win since the now-vacated 1997 victories.
7. Iowa: Going in right direction. Will deeply miss Matt Gatens.
8. Purdue: Has some pieces but relying on tons of youth.
9. Illinois: John Groce should help this team improve throughout the year, but the Illini still need time.
10. Northwestern: This likely won't be the year the Wildcats make it to the NCAA tournament. Not enough proven talent.
11. Penn State: Team showed spunk at times last season, but it won't be able to do much more than that again.
12. Nebraska: This year looks even less promising than last season.
© 2013 Star Tribune