Rayno: Things getting "real crazy" for Cooper guard Rashad Vaughn
- Blog Post by: Amelia Rayno
- October 4, 2012 - 10:26 AM
Things are starting to get “real crazy” for 2014 recruit Rashad Vaughn, the Robbinsdale Cooper guard said. He’s getting at least one call or a text daily from coaches trying to recruit him – and no wonder, he’s up to 22 offers now by my count (he’s lost track himself), so there are plenty of schools interested in dialing him up.
- Vaughn said there are about 10 coaches that make up the circle that call/text him most frequently. Among those are Minnesota, Baylor, Iowa State, Kentucky, Maryland and Syracuse.
- In the last couple weeks, Vaughn has had Louisville, Kentucky, Tennessee, Wisconsin and North Carolina for visitors (Vaughn rescheduled Louisville once he realized Calipari and Louisville’s Rick Pitino would be in the gym together).
- Vaughn on Kentucky: “It feels good. They just won a national championship and (Calipari) is probably one of the best coaches right now. And then there’s the Kentucky Method, the one-and-done method, it’s just you basically getting closer to your dream and what you want to do.”
- Vaughn said he chats with Gophers assistant coach Vince Taylor a couple time a week – usually over the phone, but sometimes on campus at the basketball office. “I have a good relationship with Vince Taylor,” he said. “He gives me a lot of good advice on stuff because he’s been there, where I want to go.”
- Over the summer, Vaughn visited Iowa State unofficially. Other than that, and Minnesota (where he’s been several times, including a football game a few weeks ago), he doesn’t have any unofficial trips planned. He would like to do a couple in the fall, but he hasn’t decided which schools yet.
- Other than Kentucky, Vaughn’s most recent offer came from Florida State.
- Right now, Vaughn’s list is wide open, but he plans to start narrowing after the high school basketball season.
© 2014 Star Tribune