Chart: Reversal of fortune for U
- September 30, 2012 - 12:48 AM
The Gophers' 4-0 start was built on solid fundamentals in key areas. Many of those areas were reversed against Iowa, including:
• Turnover margin: Minnesota was a Big Ten-best plus-5 in turnover margin going into Saturday. Against Iowa, the Gophers were minus-4.
• Big plays allowed: The Gophers came in as the only team in the nation that hadn't allowed an offensive play of 30 yards or more. They allowed four such plays in the first half Saturday.
• Quarterback pressure: After rolling up 11 sacks in their first four games, many at crucial times, the Gophers did not have a sack Saturday.
• Running game: Minnesota averaged 184 yards rushing in its first four games; Saturday, it gained only 102.
© 2013 Star Tribune