Mark Weber, Tribune Media Services
The media's lousy election track record
- Article by: Jennifer Rubin
- Washington Post
- September 20, 2012 - 11:03 AM
With media mavens on the right and left in hysterics over Mitt Romney's "47 percent" remarks, it's hard not to think about how inaccurate some media judgments have been in this election cycle. Here are just a few assertions, delivered with great certitude, that proved to be dead wrong:
1. Romneycare would prevent Mitt Romney from getting the nomination and/or making an argument against Obamacare.
2. Texas Gov. Rick Perry was a sure thing.
3. The GOP would nominate a tea-party favorite.
4. Romney's $10,000 "bet" in a primary debate would wreck his campaign.
5. Romney adviser Eric Fehrnstrom's "Etch a Sketch" remark would kill Romney's chances.
6. Romney's remark about owning Cadillacs would doom him in Michigan.
7. Romney would have to release more than two years of tax returns.
8. Romney's remarks on the embassy attacks would wreck his campaign.
9. Romney's experience at Bain Capital would kill his chances.
10. The Democratic National Convention bounce for President Obama was meaningful.
© 2016 Star Tribune