Despite strong debut, Peterson says best to come
- Article by: MARK CRAIG
- Star Tribune
- September 14, 2012 - 7:27 AM
We've learned that whatever Adrian Peterson says is pretty much exactly how it is. For eight months, the Vikings running back said he'd play in the season opener and eventually be back as good if not better than he as he was before. Then he carried the ball 17 times for 84 yards and two touchdowns in Sunday's 26-23 season-opening win over the Jaguars.
So the assumption now would be that Peterson met his goal of being as good if not better than he was before.
Peterson says that's wrong. He says he's "95 percent" of what he was before. The other 5 percent is "just being more explosive with my strength."
"It don't sound like much from the outside looking in, but I know my game and I know where I want to be," Peterson said. "And it's going to be huge once I get 100 percent. Like night and day. Seriously. I'm just keeping that in mind."Attendance report
Center John Sullivan was given a day to rest his injured ankle, but is expected to practice Friday and play in Sunday's game at IndianapolisCornerback Antoine Winfield missed practice to attend the funeral of a younger brother, Anthony Travis, who was shot and killed in Akron, Ohio last week. Winfield is expected to practice Friday.
Cornerback Chris Cook, who was limited Wednesday because of a biceps injury, had full participation.Fullback feedback
Jerome Felton had one of the better games by a true fullback that the Vikings have seen in some time Sunday.
"He was a presence [on the field]," offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave said. "He was also a presence on the sideline in terms of being a leader. He suggested a couple of amendments during the game. We took them to heart and they really paved the way for good runs there in the second half."
Musgrave is open to advice from players during the game. "When a player can give us some insight to what's going on out there, it's invaluable," he said.
"We take it to heart and discuss it. At times, it has merit. And at times, it's something we file away and use at a future date. That communication is essential between player and coach, especially during the game."Plenty of leg
Special teams coach Mike Priefer said he was "thinking game-tying field goal all along" during the waning seconds Sunday. "To be honest with you, anything in that situation inside of 65 yards you got to go for it," Priefer said.
Kicker Blair Walsh ended up kicking the tying field goal from 55 yards. Priefer has a reliable source that the kick would have been good from 60 yards.
"My son, Wilson, was the K-ball ballboy under the goal post," Priefer said. "He came to me right before overtime and said, 'Dad, that was good from 60.' So, according to my 14-year-old son, it was good from 60."
Asked what it would take to sell an NFL-record 64-yard field goal attempt as time expired -- as opposed to a desperation pass -- Priefer said, "I think a little less harder now, to be honest with you. He's shown he can handle the situation."On further review ...
Vikings defensive coordinator Alan Williams was asked about defensive end Jared Allen not having a sack Sunday.
Williams smiled and added: "sacks that counted."
He was referring to the Jaguars' second play from scrimmage. Allen got the jump on left tackle Eugene Monroe and sacked quarterback Blaine Gabbert. But Allen was offsides.
Asked if he didn't agree, Williams smiled again and said, "That's a no comment" before adding, "It was close. You look at the tape and he had a good jump on the ball and they called it as it was and that's what it is."
Monroe called Allen a dirty player for hitting Gabbert.
"You know what?" said Allen. "He's just an O-lineman worried about getting his quarterback hit. It's fine. They lost the game. So again, I don't have time for that."
© 2016 Star Tribune