To prepare vegetable tian, arrange vegetable slices in overlapping rows over an onion mixture.
Meredith Deeds, Special to the Star Tribune
Recipe: Late Summer Vegetable Tian
- September 12, 2012 - 1:46 PM
LATE SUMMER VEGETABLE TIAN
Note: Although this recipe highlights potatoes, eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes, you can use any of your favorite vegetables. You can also cut the recipe in half to feed a smaller crowd.
• 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 large yellow onion, sliced
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
• 1 lb. red potatoes, cut into 1/8 -in. rounds
• 2 small eggplant, cut into 1/8-in. rounds
• 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8-in. rounds
• 2 medium yellow squashes, cut into1/8-in. rounds
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
• 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
• 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4 -in. slices and halved
• 1/2 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
• 1/2 c. fine dried bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium heat Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly on the bottom. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, rosemary, thyme, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper and toss gently to coat evenly. Arrange the vegetable slices over the onion mixture in overlapping rows.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the cheese and bread crumbs. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture on top. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the top is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 215 Fat 10 g Sodium 400 mg
Carbohydrates 28 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 145 mg
Protein 7 g Cholesterol 5 mg Dietary fiber 7 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 4 vegetable, 1/2 bread/starch, 2 fat.
© 2017 Star Tribune