- August 31, 2012 - 12:33 AM
PREP ROUNDUPBecker coach wins 300th
• BECKER 61, MILACA 6: Senior quarterback Tommy Benson tied a school record with six touchdown passes to help the host Bulldogs hand coach Dwight Lundeen his 300th career victory. Lundeen, who is in his 43rd season as the Bulldogs' coach, has a 300-140-3 career record. Lundeen is the fourth high school football coach in state history to reach 300 career victories. Brett Watercott caught three touchdown passes in the first half for the Bulldogs, who led 41-0 at halftime.
• HENRY SIBLEY 14, NORTH ST. PAUL 7: Anastacio VandenBosh-Romo's 3-yard touchdown run with 4:38 remaining broke a 7-7 tie and lifted the Warriors to the victory. VandenBosh-Romo, a junior, rushed for 157 yards in 24 carries.
• ST. THOMAS ACADEMY 41, SIMLEY 0: The host Cadets limited Simley to two first downs and 49 yards in offense in the season-opening victory. The Cadets rushed for 243 yards and four touchdowns.
• MINNEAPOLIS SOUTH 15, MINNEAPOLIS ROOSEVELT 0: The Tigers opened the season with a strong defensive effort against the Teddies. Bowen Schwanke had a 45-yard touchdown reception in the first half and freshman Payton Bowdry scored on an 8-yard run in the fourth quarter for the Tigers.
• ROGERS 38, BIG LAKE 15: Nate Roehl and Nate Weber each rushed for two touchdowns to lead the host Royals to the victory. Weber had 78 yards in 7 carries for the Royals, who rushed for 300 yards.
• BENILDE-ST. MARGARET'S 49, COOPER 42: The Red Knights, who trailed 16-7 at halftime, scored 42 points in the second half. Keaton Studsrud's 45-yard touchdown run with less than 7 minutes remaining broke a 36-36 tie and helped the Red Knights rally for the victory. Studsrud scored on a 66-yard run early in the third quarter to start the outburst. Studsrud finished with 174 rushing yards and three touchdowns. He also passed for 104 yards. Billy Kellogg rushed for 199 yards and Briceton Scott-Burch passed for 242 yards to lead the Hawks.
• APPLE VALLEY 25, ROSEMOUNT 20: Tommy Singer's 9-yard touchdown pass to Dustin Fronk helped the Eagles outlast the Irish. The touchdown pass -- Singer's third of the game -- came with 6:47 remaining in the game. Right before the score, Rosemount had taken a 20-19 lead on Sean Kalinowski's touchdown pass. Singer was 14-for-29 for 205 yards.
• MOUNDS VIEW 40, HASTINGS 6: Matt Hunt and T.J. Horn each rushed for two touchdowns to lead the Mustangs to the victory.
• MINNEHAHA ACADEMY 21, BROOKLYN CENTER 14: Keenan Baynard rushed for 251 yards and two touchdowns to help the Redhawks outlast the Centaurs.
• ST. PAUL HARDING 34, COLUMBIA HEIGHTS 12: Senior quarterback Antonio Wagener, a three-year starter, passed for 147 yards and rushed for three touchdowns to lead the host Knights to the victory.
• ST. PAUL HIGHLAND PARK 41, JORDAN 10: Joe Page caught three touchdown passes and rushed for another touchdown and Malik Menifee rushed for 119 yards and two touchdowns to lead the host Scots to the victory.
• WATERTOWN-MAYER 52, ROCKFORD 20: Joe Reinert rushed for 191 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Royals to the victory.
© 2016 Star Tribune