Recipe: Gazpacho With Shrimp and Avocado Relish
- August 22, 2012 - 1:13 PM
GAZPACHO WITH SHRIMP AND AVOCADO RELISH
Note: This as an easy and light alternative to the traditional Spanish gazpacho. It's especially pretty when made with yellow tomatoes. From Meredith Deeds.
• 11/2 lb. red tomatoes, chopped
• 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
• 1/2 c. sweet onion (such as Vidalia), chopped
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 1 tsp. garlic clove, minced
• 2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
• 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 lb. cooked shrimp
• 1 avocado, diced
• 1/4 c. sweet onion, finely diced
• 2 tbsp. fresh basil, julienned
• 2 tsp. lime juice
Combine the following ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender (you may have to do this in two batches): tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, garlic, vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Process until smooth. Pour the soup into a bowl, and season to taste with the salt and pepper. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Before serving, make the Shrimp and Avocado Relish: Gently mix together the shrimp, avocado, onion, basil, lime juice and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle into serving bowls and drizzle the top with the Shrimp and Avocado Relish. Serve cold.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 222 Fat 11 g Sodium 845 mg
Carbohydrates 16 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 91 mg
Protein 16 g Cholesterol 120 mg Dietary fiber 6 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat.
© 2016 Star Tribune