From the mind of Stu: The next big things in local sports talk radio?
- Blog Post by: Michael Rand
- July 19, 2012 - 11:52 AM
As noted by RandBall on Monday, Talkers Magazine released its list of the top 100 sports talk radio hosts/programs in America, with Dan Barreiro, Dan Cole, and Patrick Reusse and PHIL Mackey making the cut. I’m sure there are a few local program directors and radio pros wondering how they can crack the top 100 in 2013. Below I offer up the following suggestions free of charge. You’re welcome. [Proprietor note: These are all in jest, just in case anyone was confused].
- Nuclear Wessel. Dropping HOT SPORTS TAKES like NUCLEAR BOMBS, local media gadfly and style icon Dana Wessel talks Timberwolves, UEFA soccer, St. Cloud State hockey and the Nicolas Cage oeuvre. He cultivates controversy on Vikings Mondays by only taking calls about Rocky III and Rocky IV.
- Judd and Fudd. In the vein of local radio legend Steve Cannon, former Strib reporter Judd Zulgad expands his mid-morning radio empire with an extra hour where he’s “joined” by the funny-talking hunter from the Bugs Bunny cartoons, also voiced by Zulgad. Although he’s terrible at the impression, his enthusiasm is contagious, especially when talking about Wiwwi Pwett, Don Beaupwe and other North Stars legends.
- MPR’s Sports Roundtable. Join Kerri Miller as she talks the latest sports headlines, reasonably and respectfully, with Carleton College political science professor Steven Schier, author Thomas Mallon and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman in his beloved sports fan alter ego, “The Kroog.” Polite laughter and perspective carry the day, but stay tuned as Miller reaches for the dump button when The Kroog goes off on the Knicks’ handling of the Jeremy Lin situation and how it compares to the sunset provisions of the Bush tax cuts.
- Two Equally Uninformed People Yelling at Each Other About Joe Mauer. Bringing the invective, anger and inaccuracy of internet comment sections to the radio, this new offering pairs Kent, a twice-divorced Blaine insurance professional brimming with misdirected rage, and Brendan, a Red Wing 4th-grader. Listen in as Ken accuses Mauer of being a soft, pampered millionaire who is soft, while Brendan counters that Joe Mauer is his favorite baseball player.
- The Special Guest Jon Krawczynski Show. A rotating cast of hosts holds down this 2-hour show, and they are joined every segment by special guest and local Associated Press writer Jon Krawczynski, who will also call in and handle the traffic and weather updates.
© 2017 Star Tribune