THE BOOKMARK: The latest from the local scene
- Article by: LAURIE HERTZEL
- July 7, 2012 - 4:46 PM
Students from Champlin Park and Anoka high schools -- rivals in athletics -- are teaming up for a big reading event this summer and fall. One hundred students from each school have been chosen to read young adult books by one of four Minnesota writers.
The books are "Split," by Swati Avasthi; "Unforgettable," by Loretta Ellsworth; "Stupid Fast," by Geoff Herbach, and any book by Patrick Jones.
The 200 students will blog about their reading, then discuss the books with the authors Oct. 11. Spending the summer with a book and a blog -- now, that sounds like fun.
• The poem "On Green" by Sharon Chmielarz has won the Water-Stone Review's Jane Kenyon Prize. Chmielarz is a poet, memoirist and children's book writer in Minneapolis. Her poem will be published in the review's October issue.
• "Silhouette of a Sparrow," a young-adult novel by Molly Beth Griffin, will be published this fall by Milkweed Editions. Griffin lives in Minneapolis and teaches at the Loft Literary Center. She has several readings scheduled for September -- at Open Book, Wild Rumpus and Red Balloon.
• "Unbored: The Essential Field Guide to Serious Fun," by Joshua Glenn and Elizabeth Foy Larsen, will be published in October by Bloomsbury Books. The book is an activity guide for kids, "indoors, outdoors, online, offline." Larsen, who lives in Minneapolis, has written for the Los Angeles Times, the Star Tribune, Mother Jones and other publications.
• "Illuminations," by Mary Sharratt, will be published in October by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Sharratt, the author of "Daughters of the Witching Hill" and other novels, grew up in Minnesota and graduated from the University of Minnesota. She now lives abroad, but she'll be back in town for several book-signings in the fall.
• Roseann Lloyd's latest book, "The Boy Who Slept Under the Stars: A Memoir in Poetry," will be published in September by Holy Cow! Press of Duluth. Lloyd, who lives in Minneapolis, has written eight books.
• "Iron Hearted Violet," a young-adult novel by Kelly Barnhill, will be published in October by Little, Brown. Barnhill, who lives in Minnesota, is the author of "The Mostly True Story of Jack."
• "It's a Tiger!" by David LaRochelle, illustrated by Jeremy Tankard, will be published in August by Chronicle Books. LaRochelle lives in White Bear Lake and has written many books for young people.
© 2015 Star Tribune