Mauer not in tonight's lineup but appears one step away
- Blog Post by: Phil Miller
- June 22, 2012 - 4:54 PM
CINCINNATI -- Joe Mauer is not in the lineup for the Twins again tonight, but he caught two pregame bullpen sessions and is available to pinch hit against the Reds.
Mauer, who has been out since last Sunday with a bruised right quad, could be back in the lineup Saturday at catcher.
“If he comes in tomorrow after doing all these bullpens and says, ‘I’m ready to go, I want to play,’ then OK, I’ll type him in," Manager Ron Gardenhire said. "That’s how it works. I’m not going to force the issue. He and the trainers have to say he’s ready. I don’t want to put him in there for three or four innings and have him tighten up and then come back out. He has to be ready to play, and that’s what we’re waiting for."
* Byron Buxton, the No. 2 overall pick in the this this month’s draft, went 0-for-4 today in his professional debut. He led off and played center field for the Twins’ rookie-level Gulf Coast League affiliate.
* Reds righthander Homer Bailey, the No. 7 overall pick from the 2004 draft, held the Mets to one run on six hits over eight innings last Saturday in a 4-1 victory.
* The Reds have announced that Mike Leake, not Mat Latos, will start Sunday’s series finale.
1. Denard Span, CF
2. Ben Revere, RF
3. Josh Willingham, LF
4. Justin Morneau, 1B
5. Trevor Plouffe, RF
6. Ryan Doumit, C
7. Brian Dozier, SS
8. Jamey Carroll, 2B
9. Nick Blackburn, P (3-4, 7.48 ERA)
1. Zack Cozart, SS
2. Chris Heisey, CF
3. Joey Votto, 1B
4. Brandon Phillips, 2B
5. Jay Bruce, RF
6. Ryan Ludwick, LF
7. Scott Rolen, 3B
8. Devin Mesoraco, C
9. Homer Bailey, P
Starting pitcher: RH Homer Bailey (5-4, 4.03 ERA)
Great American Ballpark. First pitch: 6:10 p.m. (Central). TV: FSN. Twins Radio Network
Follow along on Twitter: @JoeCStrib
© 2017 Star Tribune