Sunday supper: Caramelized Onion, Barley and Mushroom Casserole
- June 9, 2012 - 2:54 PM
CARAMELIZED ONION, BARLEY AND MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
Note: The flavors are reminiscent of French onion soup with mushrooms. Use any available mushroom. From "Betty Crocker Vegetarian Cooking."
• 3 tbsp. butter
• 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
• 1 tsp. sugar
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 6 c. sliced baby portabella mushrooms (three 8-oz. pkg.) (see Note)
• 11/2 c. uncooked pearl barley
• 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 c.)
• 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
• 2 tbsp. soy sauce
• 1 tbsp. sesame oil
• 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
• 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
• 4 c. vegetable broth
• 3/4 c. shredded Swiss cheese (3 oz.)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9- by 13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
In 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over low heat. Add onions and sugar; cook about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown. Add garlic and mushrooms; cook 5 to 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Add barley; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in bell pepper, parsley, soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper and thyme. Pour in baking dish.
In microwavable bowl, microwave broth uncovered on high 4 minutes. Pour broth over onion-mushroom mixture. Cover with foil.
Bake 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cheese.
© 2015 Star Tribune