Burnsville-Eagan-Savage district returns to merit pay system
- May 30, 2012 - 11:30 AM
The Burnsville-Eagan-Savage school board has unanimously approved a new merit pay plan for teachers.
Pro-Pay is Burnsville's version of Q-Comp, the state program to encourage skill building among Minnesota teachers.
Each of Burnsville's 700 teachers will be eligible for a share of $2,548,161 in merit pay. The state will contribute 65 percent of the total and the district will collect the other 35 percent from taxpayers through a levy.
Under terms of a deal negotiated with the teachers union, the district will create positions for "instructional coaches" who will observe teachers in the classroom and assist in drawing up improvement plans. Teachers can earn merit pay by serving in leadership roles, for meeting student achievement goals and by demonstrating proficiency in the classroom.
Burnsville had merit pay for five years before failing to reach a deal on a plan for the current school year.
Teachers approved the new plan in voting last week. It will take effect this fall.
© 2013 Star Tribune