Sunday supper: Chermoula-Marinated Pork Chops with Grilled Pepper Mélange
- May 26, 2012 - 3:17 PM
CHERMOULA-MARINATED PORK CHOPS WITH GRILLED PEPPER MÉLANGE
From Jamie Purviance for Weber.
• 1/3 c. roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• 1/3 c. roughly chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
• 1/4 c. plus 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• 1 tbsp. minced garlic
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 1 tsp. ground coriander
• 4 bone-in pork loin chops (each about 8 oz. and 1 in. thick), trimmed of excess fat
• 3 bell peppers (preferably 1 yellow, 1 red, and 1 orange), each cut into 4 planks
• 1 medium red onion, cut crosswise into 1/2-in. slices
• 2 tsp. cider vinegar
• 1 tsp. granulated sugar
• 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
• 3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
• 1/4 tsp. black pepper
To make the marinade: In a small bowl, combine cilantro, parsley, 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, paprika and coriander. Spread the marinade evenly on both sides of the chops. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 12 hours.
Brush the bell pepper planks and onion slices with 3 tablespoons oil.
To cook the peppers and onion: Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350 to 450 degrees).
Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the peppers and onion over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until well marked and tender, turning once. The peppers will take 8 to 9 minutes and the onion will take 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the grill as they are done. Cut the vegetables into bite-sized pieces and place them in a medium bowl. Add the vinegar, sugar, basil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
To cook the chops: Allow the chops to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling. Season the chops with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper.
Grill the chops over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until they are still slightly pink in the center, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with the grilled pepper mélange.
© 2015 Star Tribune