Kyndell Harkness, Star Tribune
Watch out for major detours near downtowns this weekend
- Article by: BILL McAULIFFE
- Star Tribune
- May 19, 2012 - 7:02 AM
Motorists taking freeways through downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul this weekend will encounter many detours and slowdowns. Here's what to watch for:
Westbound Interstate 94, between Hwy. 280 and I-394, will be closed for resurfacing until 5 a.m. Monday. The recommended detour from westbound I-94 is northbound 280 to northbound I-35W to westbound I-694 to westbound I-94. From northbound I-35W, the recommended detour is west on the Crosstown (Hwy. 62), north on Hwy. 100 and east on I-394 back to westbound I-94.
Both directions of I-94 and I-35E through downtown St. Paul will also close for the weekend because of construction of a light-rail transit bridge. I-35E will be closed between 10th Street/Wacouta Avenue and 11th Street; I-94 will be closed between 5th Street/10th Street and the ramp to 12th Street.
The St. Paul closure schedule:
• Eastbound I-94 and northbound I-35E will be closed all weekend and reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
• Westbound I-94 and southbound I-35E will be closed all weekend and reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
• The ramp from northbound Hwy. 52 to westbound I-94 will be closed.
Recommended St. Paul detours:
• Eastbound I-94: Northbound Hwy. 280 to eastbound Hwy. 36 to southbound I-35E and back to eastbound I-94.
• Westbound I-94: Northbound I-35E to westbound I-694 and back to westbound I-94 in Brooklyn Center.
• Northbound I-35E: Eastbound I-494 in Eagan to northbound Hwy. 61 in Newport to westbound I-94 and back to northbound I-35E.
• Southbound I-35E: Eastbound I-94 to southbound Hwy. 61 to westbound I-494 in Newport and back to southbound I-35E in Eagan.
Also, in Minneapolis, the ramp from N. 3rd Street to westbound I-94 near Target Field will be closed for bus shoulder improvements. Motorists should take northbound Washington Avenue to W. Broadway and re-enter westbound I-94 there.
For more information, including maps, go to www.mndot.gov/fullclosures.
Bill McAuliffe • 612-673-7646
© 2014 Star Tribune