Healthy family recipe: Black Bean Quesadillas
- May 16, 2012 - 1:34 PM
BLACK BEAN QUESADILLAS
Note: For a take on the sweet and savory theme, try adding diced mango to the bean filling.
• 1/2 c. low-fat sour cream
• 1/2 c. store-bought salsa
• 1 (19-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 c. grated Monterey Jack cheese
• 1/2 c. chopped cilantro
• 1/4 c. chopped white onion
• 2 tbsp lime juice
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 4 (10-in.) whole-grain flour tortillas
• 1 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and salsa. Set aside.
Toss together beans, cheese, cilantro, onion, lime juice and salt. Brush one side of the tortillas with the oil. Divide mixture evenly over half of each tortilla on the unoiled side, then fold tortillas in half.
Heat large skillet over medium heat. Cook the quesadillas, turning over once, until golden and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes total.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 460 Fat 17 g Sodium 1,300 mg
Carbohydrates 59 g Saturated fat 8 g Calcium 340 mg
Protein 22 g Cholesterol 35 mg Dietary fiber 14 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 4 bread/starch, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat.
© 2013 Star Tribune