Sunday supper: Lettuce cups
- May 5, 2012 - 2:28 PM
Note: If you use ground turkey, don't choose extra lean for this dish. Fish sauce has a variety of names and flavors, including nam pla (Thai) and nuoc nam (Vietnamese). Look for it in the Asian section of your market.
• 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1 lb. ground beef or turkey (see Note)
• 2 tbsp. fish sauce (see Note)
• 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
• 2 tbsp. soy sauce
• 1/4 c. sliced fresh basil or chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 small bunch green onions, white and green parts, finely sliced (about 1 c.)
• 1 very small serrano or other hot pepper, minced
• 1 large head Bibb or romaine lettuce, leaves separated and gently rinsed
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add meat and cook until no longer pink. Add fish sauce and cook until all liquid is gone from the pan, then cook a minute or two longer, until mixture starts to brown.
Meanwhile, stir together lime juice, soy sauce, basil or cilantro, green onions and pepper in a large serving bowl. Add hot meat and stir well. Serve warm with a separate bowl of whole lettuce leaves. Let diners add the meat mixture to lettuce leaves.
© 2016 Star Tribune