Wide receiver Bryan Walters agrees to deal with Vikings
- Blog Post by:
- April 2, 2012 - 2:40 PM
The Vikings have agreed to a multi-year deal with wide receiver Bryan Walters, an NFL source has told the Star Tribune.
Walters, 24, spent the first two years of his NFL career with the Chargers. After going undrafted out of Cornell in 2010, Walters was in training camp with San Diego that summer but was cut before the start of the regular season. He rejoined the club's practice squad late in the year.
His first NFL action came in the season opener last fall when he had two catches for 21 yards against the Vikings. Walters saw action in three other games in 2011 but totaled only three catches for 27 yards on the season.
The specific terms of Walters' deal have not been disclosed. He was released by San Diego last month, shortly before free agency opened. But the Vikings were obviously intrigued enough by his skill set to offer him a new opportunity in the Twin Cities.
A source said Walters is excited to be a part of a young Vikings team that will offer him a valuable chance to grow as a receiver and special teams contributor. There's no telling whether recently signed tight end John Carlson had any influence in heightening the Vikings' interest in Walters or vice versa. But Walters and Carlson have been offseason workout buddies, spending ample time together training at the University of Washington during last year's lockout.
Walters has a chance to help the Vikings in the return game as well. He had a 103-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against Seattle in the 2011 preseason.
Walters had 10 catches for 122 yards and a touchdown in the preseason last year. He had 50 grabs for 764 yards with six scores in his final season at Cornell in 2010 while also handling both kick return and punt return duties for the Big Red.
© 2016 Star Tribune