Minneapolis man charged with killing Richfield man

  • Article by: MATT McKINNEY
  • Star Tribune
  • March 21, 2012 - 11:42 PM

A man who had done odd jobs for a Richfield couple was charged on Wednesday with killing the husband last month in a stabbing attack that also left the wife so badly injured that she could not call for help.

Leon Henry Anderson, 23, who lived with a relative in the 3200 block of 3rd Avenue S. in Minneapolis, fled the home of Richard Webb and Toni Gail Jackson-Webb with their 2008 Cadillac, according to a criminal complaint.

Using phone and credit card records, investigators believe that the attack took place Feb. 28 and that Jackson-Webb was alone in her house for three days before she was discovered.

On March 2, a relative stopped by the house in the 7300 block of Elliot Avenue S. and found Jackson-Webb injured and barely conscious, according to the complaint. The relative walked into the house and smelled an "odor of death," the complaint said. She found the body of 79-year-old Richard Webb face down with stab wounds to his neck and head.

The couple's Cadillac was found March 6, parked two blocks from a north Minneapolis house where Anderson had been staying, the complaint said. Police found blood on the gas pedal, driver's foot well and driver's door handle.

After she recovered from her wounds, Jackson-Webb told investigators that Anderson attacked her in her house, cutting her neck while asking for cash. Anderson is related to a co-worker of Jackson-Webb's, according to the complaint.

A friend of Anderson's told investigators that she went on a shopping spree with him shortly after Feb. 28. Anderson told his relative that he had found a wallet and some items that belonged to an "old white guy," according to court documents. Anderson's cellphone records put him within two blocks of the couple's house on the evening of Feb. 28, the complaint said.

Anderson was charged with one count of first-degree murder, according to the complaint. He was in custody in the Hennepin County jail.

He was convicted two years ago for failing to register as a predatory offender, according to court records.

Matt McKinney • 612-217-1747

© 2018 Star Tribune