Top moments of the Modern Era
- March 19, 2012 - 10:31 PM
1. Hopkins guard Blake Hoffarber’s “rump shot” — a two-handed heave just inside the three-point line while sitting on the court — sends the 2005 Class 4A title game against Eastview into a second overtime. The Royals then outscored the Lightning 13-2 to win 71-60.
2. St. James guard Jeff Nessler drains a buzzer-beating 40-foot shot to topple Melrose 57-55 in the 1972 Class 1A title game.
3. Wabasso beats Red Lake 117-113 in overtime in the 1997 Class 1A semifinals, the wildest, highest-scoring game in tournament history. Records from that game still standing: Most points, most points by a losing team, most field goals made and attempted (48-for-87 by Red Lake) and most points in one quarter (43 in the fourth, Red Lake).
4. Guard Khalid El-Amin scores eight of his 41 points in the final 25.5 seconds — finishing with a 23-foot three-pointer at the buzzer — to lift Minneapolis North over St. Thomas Academy 67-65 in the 1996 “Sweet 16” quarterfinals.
5. Guard Barry Wohler scores the last two of his 28 points by hitting a 23-foot jumper with five seconds left in double overtime, giving Bird Island-Lake Lillian a 49-47 victory over Winona Cotter for a second consecutive Class 1A title in 1981.
© 2016 Star Tribune