Chart: Wild prospects waiting in the wings
- March 4, 2012 - 1:12 AM
• Jonas Brodin, Farjestads (Sweden): Defenseman skates magnificently, retrieves pucks quickly and counters instantly. Eight assists, plus-8 in 46 games and won world juniors with Sweden.
• Brett Bulmer, Kelowna (WHL): Physical, fast and plays with a mean streak. He ranks second on the team with 51 points despite missing 19 games. Has 29 goals and 14 multi-point games and played nine games for the Wild to start the season.
• Charlie Coyle, Saint John (QMJHL): Big, physical, versatile power forward left Boston University after the world junior championships and has 12 goals and 24 points in 16 games. He is plus-15.
• Mikael Granlund, IFK-Helsinki (Finland): Dazzling playmaker and point-getter, he is third in Finnish Elite League with 51 points in 45 games, tied for fifth with 20 goals and 31 assists and is fifth with a plus-20.
• Johan Larsson, Brynas (Sweden): Captain of Sweden's world junior team, he plays in every situation. He ranks third on his team with 35 points in 46 games.
• Zack Phillips, Saint John (QMJHL): Very skilled forward is eighth in the Q with 76 points in 54 games. His 48 assists rank sixth. He had a league-leading 22-game point streak end on Dec. 4 (13 goals, 41 points).
• Jason Zucker, Denver University (WCHA): Aggressive, relentless speedster ranks second on the Pioneers and 15th in the nation with 39 points in 29 games. He is tied for 12th in the nation with 19 goals.
© 2017 Star Tribune