How Are You Doing on Your Financial Goals?
- Blog Post by: A.J. Shepherd
- February 9, 2012 - 11:10 PM
(Or, I should ask - have you made any for the year?)
I'm not always the best when it comes to creating goals. I am more of a free-spirit when it comes to such things - I make a plan in my head and then loosely follow it. Not exactly a recipe for success, I know. But, I'm working on it.
Over at our personal finance site - we are running a year-long "Personal Finance Challenge" to help folks set up some goals for 2012 and see if they can knock off all 10 on the list by years end. I have to admit - this is more for me than our readers. :)
Here's what is on that list:
- Create a $1k Emergency Fund
- Get a Term Life Insurance Policy
- Cut Wasteful Spending
- Read a Book on Personal Finance
- Cut Your Debt by 5% or More (doesn't include mortgage - but can if you want)
- Tithe 5% or More of Your Income
- Start a Side Gig
- Start a File For Your 2012 Taxes
- Sell Your Crap
- Complete a DIY (Do-it-yourself) Project
So far this year, I've managed to cross-off several items and am working on a couple others. I'm actually enjoying having these goals in front of my face every day.
If you'd like to participate with us - all you have to do is sign-up at the Personal Finance Challenge page and then download the checklist there. For those who are partaking and complete the set goals for the year, we are doing a random drawing for $100 cash in early 2013. So, there is some more motivation for you.
Have you set any other financial goals for yourself this year?
© 2013 Star Tribune