St. Paul man viciously assaulted girlfriend over four days, charges say

  • Article by: CHAO XIONG
  • Star Tribune
  • February 2, 2012 - 8:45 PM

A St. Paul man duct-taped his girlfriend and repeatedly assaulted her over four days, breaking a chair over her head and choking her until she passed out, according to court records.

Branden J. Fourre, 22, held his live-in girlfriend captive until she fled to a neighbor's house for help Tuesday, according to charges filed Thursday in Ramsey County District Court.

Fourre is charged with two counts of kidnapping and one count each of second-degree criminal sexual conduct, second-degree assault, third-degree assault and domestic assault by strangulation.

According to the complaint: On Jan. 28, Fourre accused the woman of cheating on him. She denied it, and he wrapped duct tape below her chin and over her head to immobilize her jaw. He also duct-taped her wrists and ankles.

Fourre told the woman she was worthless and called her derogatory names. He smashed a wooden chair against her head so hard that one of the legs broke off. The assault started at 10:45 a.m. and continued past sunset, the complaint said.

Fourre also put a shotgun to her head and threatened to kill her. He knocked her out by smashing a pool cue over her head. When she awoke, he pulled off her pajama bottoms and forced her outside. He dragged her back in and made her sleep in the dog's bed.

Fourre also attempted to sexually assault her with the pool cue at some point, charges said. The woman was confined in a basement, bound in duct tape.

On Sunday, Fourre made the woman give him her e-mail and Facebook passwords. He deleted all of her male friends from Facebook and posted derogatory comments about her on her own profile.

On Monday, Fourre called in sick to work and asked a friend to bring him tea, honey, water and Ibuprofen because his voice was hoarse from yelling and his foot was swollen from kicking the woman, the complaint said.

The woman escaped on Tuesday after Fourre left for work.

The woman told police the abuse has been ongoing for their five-year relationship. Her body was covered in severe bruises and her hands were so swollen she could barely hold a pen to sign medical forms, the complaint said.

Chao Xiong • 612-270-4708 Twitter: @ChaoStrib

© 2018 Star Tribune