Three keys to Gophers win tonight
- Blog Post by: Roman Augustoviz
- January 28, 2012 - 6:45 PM
Three keys to the Gophers beating St. Cloud State:
1. Hit the net instead of posts. Kyle Rau, Nick Bjugstad and Nate Condon all hit posts on Friday in the Gophers' 2-1 win over SCSU at Mariucci. Rau in the first period, Bjugstad in the second and Condon in the third.
It really should not have been a 2-1 game. The Gophers outshot the Huskies 2-1, or 26-13.
Condon acted the most upset with his shot off the post. It came in the last two minutes on a short-handed rush. He has four shorties already. Five would have tied him for the national lead.
2. Watch that top St. Cloud State line. Both snipers from Little Falls are on the same line for SCSU tonight, Ben Hanowski and Jared Festler. They are dangerous along, together they could give the Gophers trouble.
3. Don't fall behind. The Gophers fell behind 4-1 on Nov. 18 in their first visit to the Granite City and lost 4-3 despite two goals in the last five minutes. The U seems to play much better with a lead. And on Saturdays they are 9-0-0 in WCHA play.
Referees: Peter Friesma, No. 10, and Butch Mousseaux, No. 12
Linesmen: Tony Czech, No. 80, Jeff Schultz, No. 55
© 2014 Star Tribune