What's needed to build a stadium
- January 26, 2012 - 7:58 PM
• Legislature must pass bills; Gov. Mark Dayton must sign. Sen. Julie Rosen, R-Fairmont, is the Senate's chief stadium author; Rep. Morrie Lanning, R-Moorhead, is the House's chief stadium author.
• Vikings owner Zygi Wilf must agree to terms.
If $918 million Minneapolis plan is agreed upon:
• Legislature would need to override a Minneapolis charter provision requiring voter approval for city to pay $10 million or more for a sports facility.
• Minneapolis would contribute more than $300 million to the Metrodome site. It would funnel $150 million of existing taxes for construction and $6 million annually over 30 years for operation and upkeep.
• Vikings would play at the University of Minnesota during construction on the Metrodome site.
If $1.1 billion Arden Hills plan is agreed upon:
• The Vikings have said they prefer Arden Hills site.
• Ramsey County proposed a 3 percent food and beverage tax to help fund the project; key legislators balked. The county was told to offer a workable funding plan by week's end.
© 2016 Star Tribune